Energy Capital & Power

Principaux Projets Hydroélectriques en Guinée-Conakry

Connect with us:

Projets Hydroélectriques

Guinea-Conakry, known as the “Water Tower of West Africa”, has nearly 1,300 rivers. The country is the origin of several rivers, notably the Niger, Senegal and Gambia, as well as their tributaries, which collectively have the potential to produce up to 6,000 MW of electricity.  The new government, which came to power in 2021, has revived formerly dormant hydroelectric projects with the aim of increase access to electricity to 65%, or perhaps 85% by 2025, and position Guinea -Conakry as a pioneer in renewable energies.

Souapiti, 450 MW

The Souapiti hydroelectric project, in operation since 2020, is a water conservation program. It has a total installed capacity of 450 MW and is located on the Konkouré River. The dam was built by China International Water & Electric Corporation (CWE), a wholly-owned subsidiary of China Three Gorges Corporation. CWE jointly owns and manages the dam with the Guinean government.

Amaria, 300 MW

The Amaria site is located in the Maritime Guinea prefecture of Dubréka, approximately 60 km downstream of Souapiti and immediately below the confluence of the Konkouré and Badi rivers. The project, currently under development, aims to achieve several objectives, including providing electricity to mining companies in the region, meeting the electricity demand of the public network, powering the OMVG network, a transmission network in The Gambia, the Guinea-Conakry, Guinea-Bissau and Senegal, and improve the living conditions of the local population. The project will have a total capacity of 300 MW and is expected to be completed in 2024.

Koukoutamba, 294 MW

The feasibility assessment of the Koukoutamba dam project, approximately 400 km from Conakry, is currently underway. The dam will be able to produce 294 MW of electricity, a large part of which will be intended for export. The project includes the construction of a 150-kilometer road linking Labé, the regional capital, to the dam via Tougué, as well as providing electricity to the Tougué prefecture. The dam’s reservoir is planned to support various industries, including agriculture, cattle ranching, fishing, shipping and the supply of drinking water.

Kaleta, 240 MW

Second largest dam in Guinea with a total capacity of 240 MW, Kaleta was commissioned by the Guinean Ministry of Energy and Hydraulics and built by the CWE group. Inaugurated in 2015, it accompanies the Garafiri dam on the Konkouré river and contributes to the production of hydroelectric energy in the country. According to the Africa Infrastructure Development Program, which supported the project, Kaleta is considered a successful example of energy projects on the African continent and will serve as a model for other African countries.

Fomi, 90 MW

The Fomi multifunctional dam in Guinea should soon begin construction. Since 1922, the Republic of Guinea has been planning the construction of this gigantic multi-use dam on the upper Niger River, with the aim of irrigating agricultural land in Guinea and Mali, producing energy and promoting fishing. The dam is part of the Sino-Guinean cooperation framework for mining support infrastructure. The Guinean government will subsidize 15% of the construction costs, while the China Exim Bank will cover the remaining 85%. The 90 MW Fomi Dam, once completed, will provide energy to the regions of Guinea, Mali and the West African interconnection networks.

The Honorable Aly Seydouba Soumah, Minister of Energy, Hydroelectricity and Hydrocarbons of Guinea-Conakry, who oversees the construction of hydroelectric projects, will deliver a keynote speech at the MSGBC Oil, Gas Conference and Exhibition & Power 2023 which will be held from November 21 to 22 in Nouakchott, organized by Energy Capital & Power. It will undoubtedly provide information and updates on the current progress of the projects.

Share This Article

Anne Laure Klein

Anne Laure Klein

Anne-Laure Klein works as a field editor for Energy Capital & Power. She graduated in Political Science with a Master's degree in International Relations and geopolitics. Before joining ECP, she worked as a Senior Account manager for International Tech and Energy companies. She is from French, Syrian and Italian descent, and fluently speaks English, French, Spanish and Italian. On a personal level, she is a seasoned traveler and has visited more than 110 countries.