fbpx

Eskom secures $1.1 bn loan

South Africa’s power utility company, Eskom, has secured a $1.1 billion credit facility with a consortium of local and international banks, it said in a statement released on Friday.
With a reported $30 billion debt still to be serviced, the company said the loan would form part of the financing of its current expenditure program.
“We are pleased that lenders have elected to continue partnering with Eskom on our journey to complete the capital expansion programme for the benefit of South Africa’s economy,” said Phakamani Hadebe, Eskom’s Chief Executive, adding that it is encouraging to see financial markets continue to support the utility company.
General Manager, Andre Pillay, said the conclusion of the facility would ensure that Eskom’s liquidity requirements are timeously fulfilled.
“To date, we have raised and secured approximately 95 percent of the $5 billion funding requirement for FY 18/19, the remaining 5 percent will be raised through various funding sources including domestic debt capital markets,” he said.
Additionally, Eskom said it has already secured 30 percent of its funding needs for the 2019/20 financial year and has secured 30 percent of its funding needs for the 2019/20 financial year.

Share This Article

Share on twitter
Share on facebook
Share on linkedin
Share on reddit
Share on whatsapp
Share on email
Energy Capital & Power

Energy Capital & Power

Energy Capital & Power is the African continent’s leading investment platform for the energy sector. Through a series of events, online content and investment reports, we unite the entire energy value chain – from oil and gas exploration to renewable power – and facilitate global and intra-African investment and collaboration.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Sign up for latest news and event info

Copyright © 2021 Energy Capital & Power. Privacy Policy · Terms of Use